compile image and download

Hello List,
This will probably be a some what long post for that apologize. I don't
really know much about PHP, usually If I want to do something I can Google
up an example and make it work for my needs.
With this one im totally stumped though.
Here is what Im doing and need to do, I have a page where thousands of .png
images are loaded into a div dynamically via links, these images all have a
drag class applied to them and can be placed into a second div to create one
big picture.

Once the final image is created in the second div I need the ability to hit
a save button which will compile all these random images into one complete
picture and prompt the user to download the image to their computer
(preferably in .jpg format)

People have told me to check out imagecopy, imagecopymerge and imagemagik
which I have. I read all the information provided on php.net and the
imagemagik site. Probably is I totally dont understand how to accomplish
what im trying to do with these functions.

If someone could please give me an example of how to do this I would so much
appreciate it.

Thank you