Re: Buxa Coding Guidelines

Jim Lucas wrote:
brian wrote:

Or, perhaps what you mean is that the <?xml tag might be interpreted by PHP (as opposed to an XHTML parser misinterpreting PHP tags)? If that's the case, simply don't leave it bare in the script. Have PHP print it.

brian

Or, even better, turn off short_open_tag

Then PHP will not try and parse <?xml

Well, that's circular logic, no?

Per: i obviously did misinterpret you. I thought you meant that SOME_XHTML_PARSER would choke on PHP tags. If so, perhaps my response will make sense to you now. But my point is still valid; one can just print out the <?xml with PHP. Being *one* line--and always in the same place--in every script, i don't see this as a very big deal at all.

I do agree that developing with short_open_tags = on is a Bad Idea if the app will not be under one's control.

IMO, the fact that the PHP engine barfs on <?xml with short_open_tags on is a bug that ought to have been fixed years ago. A space should be mandatory after the ?. Better yet, PHP should do away with <? ?> altogether but allow <?= ?>, which is *very* helpful (to those of us who choose to use it).

brian