'application' variables not available? Alternatives?

Hi

I am looking at converting a large project from ASP to PHP, and have read
that there is no equivalent of global.asa in PHP. It is probably easiest if
I describe the problem starting with how the ASP does it:

Project uses global.asa to load a lot of 'global' constants and variables
into memory. This includes translations for the web site in a number of
different languages. These are loaded from text files so that changing them
is easy. These items when loaded in global.asa are as if they are in an
associative array which is available to the whole application - it is not
destroyed when the page is destroyed!

Any ideas how I could handle this in PHP? The ASP method seems sensible, as
the data is much too big to load for every page, and too common to load only
when required. Holding it in memory and it having application wide scope
like this is fast. Loading only parts required at execution from, say, a
database would surely be too costly in db calls?

Anyone have any ideas about what I could do?

Many thanks, David