Is it possible to create a php.so

I have several background processes written in PHP. In our design, we have the parent process which check if there is work to process, and if so launch a child process via exec() to do actual work. By design, we want the child process to do just what it was told to do and gracefully terminate. We don't want the child process to live longer than 10 minutes.

My coworker looked at ZendPlatform, and APC, but he found that these does not do anything for PHP program that are run from command line. I know at this point ZendPlatform does not support command line. Is this true with APC? Is there any other caching implementation that we can use?

Is it possible to compile PHP so that the core of it is in a dynamically linked library (I am running in a Linux/Unix environment)?

Can I turn my PHP code into a dynamic link library ?

Thanks
Khai