Re: Command line socket server and SSL

On 9/5/07, Paul <list4@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greg Donald wrote:
> > Why on earth would you need to implement an SSL socket in PHP when we
> > have Apache and openssl?  That's pointless.  Anywhere PHP can run Apache
> > can run.. and with much better performance.
>
> Because the client is incapable of HTTPS or HTTP protocols.

Disclaimer - I'm still something of a PHP newbie, so please do not
take this as definitive or authoritative advice, but hopefully you'll
still find it helpful.

My guess is that you won't find a way to create an SSL server socket
in PHP, as most PHP use is web-facing - all the SSL details on that
end would be handled by the web server (Apache, IIS, etc.) before the
PHP interpreter fires up. My best suggestion for you would be to use
stunnel (http://stunnel.org/) or something similar to handle the SSL
details of the server connection and pass the actual data on to your
server's socket - it's pretty straightforward to use.

Hope this helps.

Kirk