Opening a file

Good Morning!

Opening this file is proving to be a pain. I have a folder that contains a
PHP page and a text file. I am trying to open the contents of the txt file
using file() but it keeps erroring out. Below is the code I'm using to try
and open it:

<?php
$fruit = "apple");
$lines = file("fruits.txt");
if (in_array($fruit,$lines))
  {
  $a = "Y";
  }
?>

So, I'm setting my variable, opening my file as an array in $lines, then
checking to see if my variable is in the array, and if it is, assign a value
ot a new variable.  However, I am getting the following error:

PHP Warning: in_array()
[function.in-array<http://develop1/credit%20card%20processing/function.in-array>]:
Wrong datatype for second argument

Any ideas?