Re: mail() takes too much time

Stut wrote:
> Matthew Lasar wrote:
>> I run pretty simple mail group distribution program that uses
>> php/mysql and the mail() function. I adapted it from an open source
>> script. Most of the time it runs well. But it does take a while to run
>> through all 150 members of the list. So I'm half glad that I don't
>> have a list of 1000 people or more.
>>
>> Any way to optimize the mail function in terms of speed? Probably too
>> vague a question, sorry.
>
> Don't use the mail function. On a unix-based system it will pass the
> message directly to sendmail which will attempt to deliver the message
> in realtime. When you're sending a large amount of mail that sucks.
>
> Your best option is to switch to using a system that connects to the
> SMTP server on localhost directly. That way you can dump each message on
> to the local MTA quickly and then forget about it.

I don't think this is correct, at least on my system. I know this
because I deliberatly ban internal machines on my network from
delivering mail to outside server (internal LAN cannot connect to port
25 on any system other than our gateway - this is to stop any windows
machines that may sneak into my network from spamming the world!).

When I test web apps locally I have to watch to override email addresses
such that I don't try to sent to real people but when I forget, they all
end up stuck in my local machine's MTA. So for that reason, mail() must
speak to my MTA, not try to deliver directly. Perhaps it depends on your
sendmail implementation? I prefer postfix (which has a sendmail
compatible binary). YMMV.

Col.