RE: why?

[snip]
Yes, a single sign-on it is... It doesn't work together with Windows
(and
PHP) you mean?
[/snip]

No, not really.

You can run PHP on a Linux or a Windows server and it does not have
access to the initial login values (press cntl alt del to login)
although ASP and .Net (auth_user, etc) do. This is something that I have
wanted to do for years and we have even discussed on this list.

The initial login has to be configured so that the computer is
accessible either online or off and it can be either basic (plain text)
or challenge/response (encrypted). If it is online it will typically
look at an Active Directory server for authentication using LDAP as the
method of communication. If it is offline the login will typically look
at registry settings to determine if the login is authorized.

Since PHP cannot read registry settings (neither can JavaScript) on the
client that is out. Windows is aware of the logged in user, but exactly
where that 'session' information is kept is a mystery to most of us. So
PHP cannot be aware of a user who has performed the initial login.

What we shoot for is Single Source Authentication. SSA uses LDAP to
connect to AD for authentication purposes. It requires that the user
login to each application, but since we are using the same
authentication platform (within a corporate system) their username and
password combo is the same as their initial login. If they change their
password (which we can make them do on a regular basis using AD's
password policies or they can do on their own -- we can also enforce
password strength) then they are able to continue using the new password
throughout the applications.

This is a very high level overview and it doesn't even begin to talk
about role or group management, but it is how we mitigate the
username/password issue for corporate users. For a public web site the
method may be quite a bit different.