Re: RE: determine which string is longer and then what is different in that string

On Sun, August 26, 2007 8:00 pm, Richard Kurth wrote:
>> >I am trying to find out which string is the longest and then
>> find out
>> >what is different between the two string. Sometimes String 2
>> is longer
>> >than String 1 The script below works sometimes but not all the
>> time.
>> >Is there a better way to do this or tell me what is wrong with the
>> >script I am using
>> >
>> >$string1 = "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8";
>> >$string2 = "1,2,3,4,6,7,8";
>> >

>> Can you give us an example of two strings where the comparison
>> fails?
>> I suspect you are looking for the number of "entries" in the
>> string, rather than the length of the string. For example:
>> $string1 = "1,2,3,4,5,6,9";
>> $string2 = "1,2,3,10,11,12";
>>
>> number of entries in $string1 is 7, number of entries in
>> $string2 is 6, but length($string1) = 13, while
>> length($string2) = 14. Is this the problem you are seeing?
>>
> Yes that is the problem $string2 is what is saved in the database and
> string1 is coming from a form. The form has every thing that is in the
> database but could have some items added and some removed. I need to
> know
> what is different so I can add to or remove from a separate table so
> both
> tables are the same.

A lot of times it's easier to just delete all the old rows and insert
all the new ones.

It may even be FASTER than using PHP logic to work out what is different.

That said, the array_diff function should tell you want got deleted,
and what got added if you call it as I posted earlier.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?