Re: PHP4 vs PHP5 Performance?

i dont know Robert; i think it depends upon the structure of ones business.
for instance; i work for a company full time, and have a start up of my own.
in both of those situations there is no impact on the client in the act of
eliminating php4 from the product implementation.  the clients never use the
code directly.  perhaps you are in some different business??

also, there are many, many enhancements to php5 that php4 does not have.
most notably the oop facilities.  but also, exception handling; re-written
XML
infrastructure (SimpleXML, DOM) and a host of new functions not found in 4.
also, the __autoload feature, and even external tools such as SPL make php5
far superior to php4, imho :)

if its a little slower, i dont really care; ill be using optimization
techniques and
have them mastered w/in the next few months so any innate speed difference
will become negligible in my projects.

i probly shouldnt use the word idiot and php4 in conjunction, to reflect my
feelings
because i might actaullly offend some people on the list :)

-nathan