Creating a table with merged cells

Hi
I need to represent a sort of map. The map is a rectangular
table of size X in widht and Y in height, so that I have X*Y
square cells. I need to record in a database some infos for
each cell.
This is easy, I thought to use a record that is something
like (X,Y,MyData), so with two nested loops I can create the
HTML table with data in it.
The problem is that I need to join adjacent cells, so that I
can obtain bigger cells made of base little square cells.
So, starting from a table like this (see with fixed size font)
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | | | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | | | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | | | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

I must find a way to store in the database a table like this
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| 2 | | | |4 cells|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| |BIGBIGB| | | | |
+-+BIGBIGB+-+-+-+-+
| |BIGBIGB| | | | |

I thougt to use a record like (X,Y,XWIDTH,YHEIGHT,DATA), but
I cannot imagine the way to create the resulting HTML table.
Using graphics will be a lot easyer, but I must insert
combos and checkboxes into the cells, so I must use html...
Any ideas?

Thanks!