RE: Re: Releasing CORE GRASP for PHP. An open source, dynamic web application protection system.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying as well...

> Amen to that... I too don't see why the 'fork' or add on... It should
> just be a normal compile time switch, like --with-suhosin or
> --with-grasp or something like you do everything else. In fact, I'd
> almost be swayed into a --with-out-suhosin and
> --with-out-grasp options
> instead, and make this stuff default so that even newb' installations
> would be less susceptible to attack -- they're probably the ones that
> need the most security!

I was at first suggesting these security hacks be something one has to
explicitly enable.

Then I thought about it, and thought they should be default "on", and
you would have to explicitly turn them "off" if you didn't want them.

Related to that was that most newb's wouldn't necessarily know to enable
these features on one hand, and they are the types of sites that hackers
would target -- low hanging fruit as it were.

I work in a security company, and we use LAMP/Ruby almost exclusively. I
would (as a professional and expert) ALSO welcome these security hacks
on by default. So it's a win-win for everyone.

The few extra ms to execute some secure code is well worth it IMHO over
the chance of a XSS or script kiddie causing me hours of grief later.

So in effect, we're on the same page I think.

(p.s. I removed the 'Announcement' portion of the subject, because like
other people I'm sure, I color code the subjects based upon certain key
words. Announcements are in red for me, and this get's "alarming". ;-) )

D.Vin
http://daevid.com