Re: pecl in php5?

Per Jessen wrote:
> I'm trying to install the pecl mailparse extension, but I'm not getting
> very far:
>
> pecl install mailparse
> pecl/mailparse requires PHP extension "mbstring"
> No valid packages found
> install failed
>
> "mbstring" does not seem to be a php extension, and in any case I built
> php with "--enable-mbstring".
> Can anyone help me get mailparse installed or at least figure out what's
> going on?  I'm using php-5.2.3.

Hi Per,

use

pear install pecl/mailparse

The difference between the "pear" and "pecl" commands is that "pecl"
disables php.ini so that you can overwrite extension .so or .dll files
that would otherwise be in use and locked for write.  So, unless
mbstring is built into PHP (not a loaded module in php.ini), you won't
be able to install mailparse.

Sorry for the inconvenience, this is the only extension in the lot that
I've heard of with a dependency on a non-built-in extension.  I would
prod the mailparse maintainers to add a note to the package page or to
the docs.

Greg