Re: Re: PHP Books - A poll of sorts

On Aug 15, 2007, at 4:28 AM, David Powers wrote:

Jay Blanchard wrote:
If there was a best practices book would you buy it?

I write books on PHP aimed at the beginner/intermediate level, and have a considerable collection of PHP books written by others. Two relatively recent books that struck me as being important are "Pro PHP Security" by Chris Snyder and Michael Southwell, and "Essential PHP Security" by Chris Shiflett. (I know there's also "php|architect's Guide to PHP Security" by Ilia Ashanetsky and Rasmus Lerdorf, but I haven't read it.)

The thing that struck me most about the books was that anyone thought there should be a need for them. Of course, there is a need - that's why they were written. However, surely security should be taught from the very beginning? Every book on PHP (or any other language) should be a "best practices" book.

The problem is that books are written by human beings, who are prone to mistakes (myself included), and whose own view of "best practice" might leave gaps in security. The other problem is that a lot of people who use PHP just want to copy and paste a script that "works". Even if the ready-made script has been designed with security in mind, using it without understanding *how* it works can lead to unforeseen problems.

By the way, I would welcome constructive criticism of the scripts in my books. I have tried to incorporate what I perceive to be the best practices at the time of writing, but I'm sure there's room for improvement.

If I can add some stuff here;
I have done a lot of php/javascript programming from scratch and being self taught, without good texts on the subject in addition to the php manual, I would be at a loss. Copying and pasting code is kind of like being a commercial designer who never does original art but just use stock stuff and crams it into templates. That should be the difference between a pro developer and 'paste up' artist. Inevitably, even copied and pasted code has to be adapted for a particular use, other wise it boarders on theft. Even if you do use open source you do not have to be a charity (albeit, I have not made any money at it to speak of). I would like to think that the money I have spent on books, lining authors' and publishers pockets, the money I have spent on commercial software from Adobe, Quark, etc, etc, and the thousands of dollars I have spent on computer hardware over the years has not been in vain (even though I have no ' meal ticket' with student loans that may take the rest of my life to pay off and won't ever be guaranteed that that investment would pay
for itself).
Just my two cents.
Jeff K