Re: manual vs. meta refresh

On Sat, August 11, 2007 9:39 pm, Robert Cummings wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 19:36 -0700, Geoff Nicol wrote:
>> Rob,
>>
>> What you suggested, which matches the theory of what I and others
>> suggested, would certainly work as an ID that changes is involved.
>>
>> If you read the specific posting by Richard Lynch, which is what I
>> was
>> replying to, you will note he suggest refreshing to a static
>> 'was_meta_refresh_before' link which of course won't work as
>> refreshing manually at that point will be indistinguishable from a
>> true meta-refresh after the redirect has occurred.
>>
>> Anyways; this thread seems done, there are several solid suggestions
>> on how to do it properly.
>>
>> I just didn't want it to close on an incomplete solution, as people
>> apparently don't read the thread history ;)
>
> Ah ok, I see what you're saying. Yeah, Richard must have missed that
> you
> can't just redirect to a URL and all is well.

Actually, Richard was thinking that you MIGHT be able to do whatever
you need to do in the "forwarding" script...

If you're just logging the fact that the user got the refresh, or
updating something somewhere, for example.

If the actual output to the user needs to be different based on META
versus RELOAD, then, yeah, I was wrong, and you'll need a counter or
something...

Of course, the question of whether it's a Good Idea to show something
different for a manual Refresh versus META refresh springs to mind...

I can't see why you'd want to do this for anything other than
educational purposes...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?