Re: Running a server process

Tijnema wrote:
On 8/10/07, Stut <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tijnema wrote:
On 8/10/07, Stut <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tijnema wrote:
On 8/10/07, Richard Heyes <richardh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That is it works with just me using the site.  I am wondering how this would
effect performance if say 500 people were executing this php function around
the same time and the processing overlapped.  Is there anyway to make an
executable run as a service, I am guessing at the terminology that I should
use here, but I feel there would be a much more efficient way of performing
this task.
Well, ideally you don't run an executable. But if you must, there's some
Windows program that turns an executable into a service. But then
there's the consideration of communicating with it, which you could do
with sockets. Or you could use a file.

--
Richard Heyes
+44 (0)844 801 1072

But you're right, you'd need a way to communicate with the service.

-Stut
Well stut, this doesn't really run your program as a service.
The program itself is a server, and simply starts every program when
that service starts. That's not the same as running the program as a
service.
That's extremely pedantic. "As a service" simply means it responds to
messages from the OS such as start, pause and stop. Firedaemon wraps
your executable in a process that does just that. So technically you're
correct, it doesn't turn your executable into a service, it wraps it in
one, but the effect is essentially the same.

If you need the extra control you'll get over it by rewriting your
executable to actually be a service then you should do that. But if
you're working with something you don't have the source for, or don't
have the time to implement such a modification then Firedaemon is the
best option I've come across.

-Stut

Yes, but if you don't have the source, you can't add socket support,
and then you can do quite less with a program... Unless you already
have socket support in the program, but that seems quite odd to me ;)

Sockets aren't the only IPC mechanism available. And besides, I was countering your general statement regarding Firedaemon, not the applicability of Firedaemon to the OP's problem, which we can't comment on without knowing a lot more information about it.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/