Re[2]: Friday morning brain farts....

Hi Stut,

> On my production servers error_reporting is set to E_ALL,
> display_errors is off and log_errors is on. I get an email from each
> server containing the contents of the error log from the previous
> day and my first task each day is to go through that and track down
> any issues that usage has highlighted.

Snap :)

We do exactly the same here. The PHP log is checked first thing every
morning for notices, fatal errors, etc. The notices are especially
useful to finding out where other devs have forgotten (or incorrectly
named) variables, etc - as a number of people work on the sites each
day.

I wrote a very simple script that parses the log file into a web page
and colour codes each element (red = fatal, green = notice, yellow =
warning). We can also inject developer notes into it (using
error_log() with some set keywords at the start) which appear in blue.

Here's a small grab from an internal development server log:

http://www.corephp.co.uk/images/php_error_log.jpg

Simple, but effective.

Cheers,

Rich
--
Zend Certified Engineer
http://www.corephp.co.uk

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out of a window"