Re: Running a server process

On 8/10/07, Nathan Wallis <nwallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> I have a windows application the performs  a certain task that I need it to
> perform.  I am in the process of developing my site and am really interested
> in the functionality of the site at the moment and haven't set about putting
> the details in place, so I am using the php function
>

> exec ("start ....... ");
>

> To run the process.
>

> It works.
>

> That is it works with just me using the site.  I am wondering how this would
> effect performance if say 500 people were executing this php function around
> the same time and the processing overlapped.  Is there anyway to make an
> executable run as a service, I am guessing at the terminology that I should
> use here, but I feel there would be a much more efficient way of performing
> this task.
>

> Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
>

> Nathan

500 people at the same time is a big problem, as it will start 500
processes at the same time. I wonder how many Windows servers can
handle that much processes at same time.

If you have written the windows application, you should rewrite some
part of it to let it work with sockets, so that you can simply connect
to the program with a socket.

Tijnema
--
Vote for PHP Color Coding in Gmail! -> http://gpcc.tijnema.info