Re: I know this is not easy and I'm not stupid but...

Stut wrote:
Please include the list when replying.

Phil Curry wrote:
Phil Curry wrote:
how can this be? This is not the first time I've run into a situation like this. What am I missing?
line 102    echo  ($userValues['afterDark']);             // outputs 1
line 103    if ( $userValues['afterDark'] == 0 ) {        // passes

Add a line at 102.5...

var_dump($userValues['afterDark']);

What type is that variable?

Don't have to do a dump, I know its a tinyint(1), not null, default 0

PHP does not have a type of tinyint

knowing now that this comes from a database, if it is mysql, then it is of type string

PHP converts all fields when pulled from the database into strings. It does not take into account what type the field is actually set to in mysql.

Try puting a (int) in front of the condition like this

if ( (int)$userValues['afterDark'] == 0 ) {
}

Maybe this will help

That would be the type in the database, not the type of that variable at that time.

-Stut

--
Jim Lucas

   "Some men are born to greatness, some achieve greatness,
       and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V
    by William Shakespeare