permissions for include()

Hello again;
I have a question about including php files that are outside of
the web server document root. What permission does Apache
use to access files outside of the document root?
Here is the situation:
I want to store sensitive data such as login/pw data for
registered users. I also want to make all the web content
rwx for user nobody (FreeBSD) only. So no ftp access,
no mortal user access, etc. Is it possible to  do this in
this situation? Would the Parent Apache process use
its privileges to include a file of this type?
I have texts and other data about storing data out side
the document root,  but  none go into it in this detail?
Thanks for any knowledgeable response:
Jeff K