Re: Re: get domain component from email

Richard Lynch wrote:
On Tue, August 7, 2007 6:21 pm, Stut wrote:
Kevin Waterson wrote:
I would like to prevent registration of emails from certain domains
that
abuse a forum. eg: foo.uy7f564d8d6d.com
These domains are registered by the thousands by spammers and
because they
use dyndns it is impossible to use an IP block.

You are also likely to screw up and end up banning legitimate users
who happen to use DynDns for perfectly valid reasons.

I don't think he meant DynDns the company, I think he just mean DHCP addresses.

I would suggest that you abandon trying to ban users based on domain,
or IP, and focus on their actual content/contributions
post-registration.

As a bonus, by banning users based on content and not email address,
you'll also catch those who use "valid" email addresses that you'd
never be able to "rule out" in any predictive sensible way.

Completely agree. It's like banning someone from a pub based on the clothes they were wearing the last time you saw them.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/