Re: import Excel file into PostgreSQL

On Tue, August 7, 2007 12:37 am, Alain Roger wrote:
> I would like to know the best and fastest way how to import some
> colums
> contents from Excel file to PostgreSQL database.
> how can i do that ?
>
> I mean some columns of Excel should be imported into a particular
> table and
> some others into another table.

It kinda depends just how much data is in your spreadsheet, and just
how often you will have to do this, and whether the latest import
replaces the existing data or...

It also depends a great deal on whether the user who is doing the
export/import is totally clueless or tech savvy.

For smaller datasets, you can use the PEAR Excel Reader up on
sourceforge.com fairly easily, and then a couple insert statements
should be pretty trivial.

If you've got hundreds of thousands of rows, it might be worthwhile to
try to use some kind of "bulk load" in PostgreSQL rather than
individual insert statements.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?