Re: Echoing input w/o sanatizing - what is the danger

Are you the only user?

Is it authenticating you to keep all other users out?

If some random 'net user can send POST data, and you just blindly spit
it out, with no filtering and no escaping, then, yes, that is
insecure.

There are all manner of nasty things that can be done to this setup by
other users.

Example:
They can send whatever POST data they want, which can include
JavaScript, which you blindly echo out, which can make your site
"look" like another site's login, but sends THEM the login info.

So now they are using your site as a dropbox in a phishing attack.

And that's just ONE example from a dozen.

Repeat after me:
FILTER INPUT; ESCAPE OUTPUT

Start reading here:
http://phpsec.org/

Also take a look at Rasmus' keynote at the php|tek conference,
probably listed here:
http://talks.php.net/

Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?