Re: Can anyone point me toward some useful resources?

greg,

how is your application written?  is it fairly modular?
you could build an n-tier system by assigning different components of the
application
to different pieces of hardware.  then you could have the components
communicate
via a local high speed network.  soap would be a good protocol for the
communication.

http://www.phppatterns.com/docs/design/a_quick_intro_to_ntier?s=tier

caching is a common performance tool as well.  this is a different approach
though, but
can be used in tandem w/ the n-tier concept.

-nathan