RE: function -> action

[snip]
  I'm working on a project, where we distinguish between "functions" and
"actions" in design, although in PHP both are implemented as functions.
Is there a chance that PHP can use the word "action" as "function"?

E.g.:
public function doSomething() { .... }
public action doSomethingElse() { ... }

... is actually the same but would help to see the design also in the
code.
[/snip]

Functions are pretty much actions in most programming languages but you
could write a wrapper around functions and call that wrapper 'action'.
It is just a matter of semantics. It would just be an additional layer.

As for distinguishing between functions and actions in design I'd be
curious as to how you measure the difference. How would this apply to
OOP methods? (A method is essentially a function for a class, so I
suppose it could be called an action.)

function foo(){
   /* do stuff */
}

"Do stuff" is an action. All functions "do stuff". So all functions are
actions. Can there be a function that is not an action of some sort? As
a sometimes robotics guy I might be able to make the distinction (again,
only semantically) between the computation of something (a function) and
computer driven mechanical output (walk, turn, raise arm, etc.)(an
action). Really though these are one in the same.

(BTW you happened to catch me awake at 3am working on server issues or I
might be able to see this more clearly.)