Re: About XSL Transformation

Nathan Nobbe wrote:
this is basically a design decision on your part. since you are working w/ 2 programming languages, ie. php and xsl, you will need to determine how much logic is implemented in each language. i would recommend you devise a scheme early on in your application lifetime and stay consitent w/ the decisions
you make.
it will save you headaches in the long run.

-nathan

On 7/29/07, *Kelvin Park* <kelvinpark86@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:kelvinpark86@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Nathan Nobbe wrote:
    > build or modify the xml w/ php.
    > or pickup a book on xsl :)
    >
    > -nathan
    >
    > On 7/29/07, *Kelvin Park* <kelvinpark86@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:kelvinpark86@xxxxxxxxx>
    > <mailto:kelvinpark86@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:kelvinpark86@xxxxxxxxx>>>
    wrote:

    >     I have an XML file with 10 products with their registered
    dates(dates
    >     when they were created).
    >     My XSL code is set so that it sorts the products in descending
    >     order(latest to oldest) by registered dates.
    >     I tried to declare xsl:variable to increment within
    xsl:for-each,
    >     however I ran in to some dead ends.
    >     How do I print only the 5 latest products?
    >
    >     --

    Thanks!

    I checked out sitepoint's XSL book, and figured it out. I tried to
    do it
    with PHP, for me it seemed just a little bit more work than XSL
    transformation.

Since I'm not very familiar with XSL most of my applications are in PHP and XML (parsed from MYSQL). I have the current project's design planned out with just PHP/XML, however I felt like it was more convenient to just do the latest item print out part with XSL (couple of files). I might run in to some challenges when I get to pagination, I was thinking whether I should deviate a little bit from the plan to create XML/XSL pagination of list of items. This might just become all hybrid code with PHP and XSL, which I'm not looking forward to have.