Re: Profile / Debug w/o server modification?

From: "Richard Lynch" <ceo@xxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, July 27, 2007 10:01 pm, Instruct ICC wrote:
> If you mean get a dev box.  You don't know how long I've been asking
> for one
> to match the production box.

Your dev box should only match in software versions (okay, and any
really funky specialized hardware like a hardware random number
generator MAYBE).

Don't ask them for a Gigaplex Mu-on 16-cpu 64 Gig RAM 4 Terabyte hard
drive box.

Take an old box out of your closet and install the same versions of
the OS, Webserver, DB, and PHP and call it done.

Now, a QA box, where you do load-testing and serious "release
candidate" testing, yeah, THAT should match the production box, if at
all possible...

Do you know of any (free as in money) disk imaging software that would capture all the patches/configurations/etc. Actually, as I write this, I remember the reason the imaging tool I used had mysterious failures was probably due to bad memory, and I could use a different box now.

Thanks for the advice.