Re: HTML Email Composing Problem.

Chris wrote:
Richard Lynch wrote:
On Thu, July 26, 2007 2:46 pm, Tom Ray [Lists] wrote:
I'm trying to use PHP to compose an HTML formatted email

Don't do that...

3) Spam Assassin doesn't like it either way and tags the email as SPAM
for the following reasons:

 0.6 HTML_SHORT_LENGTH      BODY: HTML is extremely short
 1.5 MIME_BASE64_TEXT       RAW: Message text disguised using base64
encoding

The only people who send out these stupid HTML enhanced (cough, cough)
messages are spammers.

Pfft. There are tons of legitimate reasons to send html emails.

To get rid of the last one, don't base_64 encode your html content.

You only need to base64_encode embedded images or attachments (pdf's, docs, stuff like that).

As someone else suggested, check out phpmailer - it handles all this for you and works pretty nicely.

I would have to agree with you Chris, there a many legitimate reasons for having HTML mail. I was trying to be a nice guy and send both the plain text version and the html version out but like I said, I couldn't get it to stop displaying both. I dumped the base_64 encoding already and also gave up on trying to do a multipart/mixed with both plain text and html and am just composing them as plain text or html as needed. PHPMailer is great for a resource but this is a customized project and PHPMailer won't fit in it. Plus I really would like to have this knowledge rattlin' around in my head anyways.

It all works with Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail. It displays properly and isn't shoved into the Junk/Spam folders. Everything displays right in Thunderbird and Outlook Express and the only time it's flagged as spam is if it goes through my main account which, in reality, has a insanely low score base (.5) and it's now scoring a .6 so I think I've got a solution.

However, I would still like to get answers on questions 1 and 2 for future reference so any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!