Re: gnererating geocodes from a postcode

On Thu, June 14, 2007 6:02 am, Ross wrote:
> I have done this before with a paid service in the uk
> www.postcodeanywhere.co.uk but is there a free service where I can
> automatically genereate this from the postcode? At present I am using
> multimap to get the 'lat' and 'lon' information I want. This is too
> slooooooooowwwwwww.

Very old post, but I saw no answers...

US and Canada have freely-available open content databases of one kind
or another.

Not so sure about UK...

You could *cache* the results of any given postcode, and would
probably eventually have "all" of them...

One project I've never quite gotten back to yet was to build an open
commons content type db of all country/postcode lat/long datasets...

Or at least, all countries that have sane enough postal systems to be
able to do so without killing myself...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?