Re: Re: PHP Brain Teasers

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 10:08 -0400, tedd wrote:
> At 11:00 PM -0400 7/5/07, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 22:44 -0400, tedd wrote:
> >>  At 4:48 PM -0400 7/5/07, Daniel Brown wrote:
> >>  >On 7/5/07, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>  >>On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 15:04 -0500, Kaleb Pomeroy wrote:
> >>  >>>  Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
> >>  >>
> >>  >>The egg, fish were laying them long before chickens walked the earth :)
> >  > >
> >  >
> >  > But actually, it was dinosaurs.
> >
> >Ummmmm... fish predate all land creatures according to evolution....
> >that's not to say something with eggs didn't predate fish, but I'm too
> >lazy to go look.
>

> Yes, but I was talking about predecessors to the chicken, like
> Archeopteryx (one of the first feathered dinosaurs), which is/was (my
> education is dated) believed to be the predecessor of birds.
>
> As far as eggs are concerned, they predate fish considerably.
>
> So, IF the question is "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" --
> then the answer is clearly "the egg".
>
> However, if the question is "Which came first, the chicken or the
> chicken's egg?" -- then the answer is much less obvious.
>
> Evolution is alteration in the genetic code usually caused by changes
> in the critter's environment. So, the question becomes, is the
> alteration of the genetic code found in the egg a random fluctuation
> of genetic code not found in the parent, or is it the product of a
> lifetime experience, under the influence of the parent's environment,
> that changed the parents genetic code in reproduction?
>
> Also, there is a difference in the genetic code you have and the code
> your pass on in terms of dominance/preference with your spouse's
> genetic code. In other words, male and female produce something
> different than either of them. However, for both to reach
> reproduction age, they both had to have "successful" genetic makeup.
> As such, their offspring has a different chance, perhaps better, of
> reaching reproduction age and passing on it's contribution.
>
> Now at what point does the offspring differ enough in genetic code to
> be classified as a chicken? That's an interesting question
> considering that it's offspring may not be a chicken (consider that).
> Pre-chickens will have to go through numerous generations before
> producing a "true" chicken in our taxonomy.

I described below how one knows which came first and for which side of
the ambiguity you choose to define "chicken egg". You're above analysis
of determining chickens from non-chickens is fabricated confusion in
your own mind. We don't need to know the time at which a bird became a
chicken, nor do we need to know it's genetic makeup. It's not important
to the greater question, all that is important is to know that at some
point, no matter when that point was or what birds were involved, there
was an instance when a hatched bird was a chicken that had two parents
that were not chickens. At that exact event when the offspring was a
chicken and the parents were not we know that the chicken was finally
born. And that event had to happen unless you believe in Creationism or
Intelligent Design.

> I doubt that one can demarcate the non-chicken parents from the
> chicken offspring. So... it is perplexing.

We don't need to demarcate, we only need to know that it happened.