Re: Re: PHP vs Delphi Comparison?

On 7/3/07, Darren Scales <darren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But unlike delphi, it just can't output a native GUI on each OS.

Actually PHP has 3 bindings that i know of (which cover *nixes and windows)

  - php gtk <http://gtk.php.net/>
  - php-qt <http://www.php-qt.org/>
  - windows bindings <http://winbinder.org/changelog.php>

i dont know how great they are but they are definitely out there.

-nathan

On 03/07/07, Stut <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Darren Whitlen wrote:
> > Dan wrote:
> >> I'm looking for a way to introduce PHP to some Delphi programmers, so
> >> I thought a comparison would show them the major differences, but I
> >> can't find anything like that on the web.  Anyone have an article
like
> >> that or know of one?
> >>
> >> - Dan
> >
> > There's a HUGE list of differences, as they are 2 completely different
> > languages designed for completely different reasons. One is compiled,
> > and for desktop software, while the other is scripted and designed to
> > only output text.
> >
> > It really is like comparing apples to oranges.
>
> I must disagree with that. Firstly, most programming languages share
> similar constructs and can therefore be compared at the syntax level
> regardless of the intended purpose. Secondly Delphi was not designed for
> "desktop software" - I've developed many a Windows service with it.

Fair enough, syntax you can compare. By "desktop software" (OK bad
terminology by me there) I mean full blown apps like an office suite,
photoshop or a music composition app for example. Creating such an app
using
PHP just wouldn't be possible without a LOT of serious work, most likely
using C for extra extensions.

Lastly, and most importantly, you mean interpreted not scripted and PHP
> was in no way specifically designed for nor is it limited to outputting
> text only.

Yes, I do mean interpreted. Honestly, I've tried and am still trying to
use
PHP as an all round language. But unlike delphi, it just can't output a
native GUI on each OS. This leaves it outputting only text (either via CLI
or embeded into a webpage). Yes OK it can output graphics using GD by
writing it to files, but then you have to have another app to display the
image.

Darren: Set yourself free and stop imposing artificial limits on
technology.

I'm hoping that explaining I have tied to use PHP in other ways might make
you take that back ;)

Darren

Dan: A more logical comparison would be Pascal against PHP since the