Problems with mirror site script

Hi.

I am currently writing a script to put on my site so people can browse
other sites by using my site as a mirror therefore the contents of a
webpage would be retrieved and echoed on my site.

I am having some problems with placing my ad at the top of the page
that is echoed when a user browses a site so that it doesn't interfere
with the headers. I am having problems with where to place the link
e.g. after the body tag, and how to find out what type of page it is
i.e. html, xhtml, etc. so I know if I can use specific effects with my

Also, when a user clicks on a link on the mirrored page the link
should be mysite.com/index.php?go=http://othersite.com/othersitepage.htm
and not mysite.com/othersitepage.htm

I have tried to use str_replace in the contents of the retrieved
webpage but it doesn't seam to work.

Here is the simple piece of code that I have started with without security etc:

<?

////// $http is the page that the user wants to browse

$handle = fopen($http, "r");   ///////////get contents of webpage
$contents = fread($handle, 500000);
fclose($handle);

$replace = explode("mysite.com/", $contents);
str_replace("mysite.com",
"mysite.com/index.php?http=$http/$replace[1]", $contents);

if(strstr($contents, "<!DOCTYPE html
    PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD HTML"))
{
$ads = ads_html();
$contents2 = explode("</body>" , $contents);
}

if(strstr($contents, "<!DOCTYPE html
    PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD XHTML"))
{
$ads = ads_xhtml();
$contents2 = explode("</body>" , $contents);
}

echo $contents2[0] . $ads . $contents2[1];
?>

Please advise me if there is another better way to place my ad and
check the type of page because this coding is just wrong and
error-prone.

Thanks
Wikus