generate letter combination..

i made a mistake when i say i can solve this problem to a friend.
finally i realize it is not as simple as i appear to be.

what he ask me to do is write a simple script that, given a word.. the
script will generate a list of words combinaton
from the each character in in that word. i am tired thinking.

to make it clear. i give a simple scenario. i don't have an idea what i
should name my baby.
so, i took my wife  name and me and input to the script.(i want a name that
is from our name combination).

later the output will present many words that i can choose.

the input string can be of any length.

anyone have an idea?