Re: Aggressive PHP Smart Caching

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 00:49 -0400, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> > On 6/25/07, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I presume you mean bytecode caching for #1.
> yes
>
> > As for application variables... the lack of application level variables
> > is a design choice to make it easier to scale your application
> > horizontally. This is usually referred to as the "shared nothing"
> > approach.
>
> This is interesting; if the lack of application variables is a design
> decision then why do people look to  memcached for performance gains?

Because they are ignorant, short-sighted, or understand their problem
enough to know they won't benefit from a shared nothing architecture.

> afaik, the idea is to add support for application variables since php does
> not provide it inherently.

Memcached is for far more than just application variables, but yes it
can be used to mimic app variables. But this takes more of a conscious
effort by someone to shoot themself in the foot.

> also, other popular (possibly more so in the enterprise [fogive me if you
> think thats cheesy]) languages namely java and .net have integrated
> mechanisms to support application variables.

You'll probably find that where there is a high need for scalability, or
potential scalability, developers are not using the feature.

> this is often sighted as one of the greatest shortcomings of php, in my personal experience.

I guess it depends on who is doing the citing. If the unwashed masses
are doing the citing then perhaps they feel that way from having gotten
into bad habits.

> i dont see how lacking support for application variables makes it easier to
> scale horizontally either.  horizontal scaling could be achieved in the same
> fashion even if the language did offer support for them, by simply choosing
> not leverage them, if so desired.

Exactly, but by not having them by default it makes it harder for you to
accidentally make use of them. Either way, whether PHP holds your hand
or not, they made a design choice to not have application variables, and
as such that IS why they are not part of the language by default.

Cheers,
Rob.