Re: PHP Color Coding in Gmail (was: open a file in a folder without knowing the filename)

On 6/22/07, Justin P. Goldberg <justgold79@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/21/07, Tijnema <tijnema@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/21/07, Justin P. Goldberg <justgold79@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Matt Cutts blogged about color-coding messages  in his inbox like Mutt
> does,
> > http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/keep-it-coming-gmail/
> >
> > and the solution he found,
> > http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/other-googlers-you-should-read/
> >
> > This doesn't do what you want though. I think a firefox addon or
> > greasemonkey script would do this better.
>
> Yes, and what about the IE users? Server side implementation is a lot
> better here I think, but that's up to google...

Google wouldn't add this feature. What percent of gmail users would use it?
1 in 1000?

Google implements features that twenty percent of users use, on the web
search at least, and roll them out on comcast users first; I couldn't find
the interview where I saw that though.

That's for the web search, this is gmail ;)

> > I wish someone would come up with something like google docs, but just
> for
> > coding though. That would be cool, especially if it could edit files
> over
> > ftp/sftp and webdav.
>
> You mean just a webbased editor?

Yes.

Not too hard to create, but where to store the files? I don't have a
> few TB left for such things ;)

They would be stored online. Besides, it would be text files.

An average script file on my PC is 5Kb, let's say about 1000 users
with each 100 scripts, that would be 1000 * 1000 * 5 = 500000 Kb =
500Mb
Not too much, but what would it cost? more than google will pay for the ads...

The editor itself would not be too hard to create and seems quite good
> idea to me, maybe i'll start write something when I have some time :)

Well you could support it through google ads or selling ad space. Start
small.

I have had Google ads on a site, which had 30.000 page visits, and
that way I got $11 IIRC. (3 large sky scrapers)
Seems quite impossible to pay it from ads only...

Tijnema

Tijnema

--
Vote for PHP Color Coding in Gmail! -> http://gpcc.tijnema.info