Re: Re: [BULK] Re: [PHP] OK to have many files in one folder?

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 11:25 -0400, Daniel Brown wrote:
> [...]

This isn't quite correct. There are numerous databases that allow you to
assign a raw partition and they manage the filesystem themselves thus
the intermediate OS dependence is eliminated. As such, the database
probably wins in this situation since you also get rapid searching on
any meta data fields and since you probably have to issue a query
anyways (for either approach), this approach is superior since you no
longer need to interact with the filesystem at all. The only negative is
that writing to the database will be less efficient due to escaping of
the data. But reading will be much faster. And in practice, I'd wager,
it's rare that images are created more often than read.

Cheers,
Rob.