Re: Controlling project version

Stut wrote:
Chris wrote:
That's odd since this is one of the major advantages that Subversion has
over CVS (for me at any rate). When you branch or tag in CVS it will sit
there and create a copy of every single file in the repository.
Depending on the size of your projects this can take a while.

Maybe it's just the whole structure thing I don't understand:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.tour.importing.html#svn.tour.importing.layout
If you already have your project in subversion, how do you branch it?

Compare that to:

cvs tag -b "branch name" module_name

;)

Ok, this is where you need to understand the fundamental difference between how CVS and Subversion work. For CVS branching and tagging are operations in themselves. In Subversion they're just copies. How you layout your repository is up to you, but the recommended layout is usually used because you need somewhere in the repository to put branches and tags.

As for how to do it... think of it as simply copying files and it should make sense...

svn copy svn+ssh://server/repos/trunk svn+ssh://server/repos/tags/mytag

That does make sense - it's just a pain to re-do a repository if you didn't set it up properly in the first place (which I never thought I'd have to do for a version control system).

Anyway thanks for the tip ;)

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/