Re: OK to have many files in one folder?

For everyone who advised me to "beware the inode", allow me to forward what the Rackspace admins told me. This is Greek to me, and I'm hoping one of you can translate. All I understood was where he said "I appear to have more than enough." Yes?

---snip---

All of your slices on the disk are ext3. As this is the only file system that the Red Hat kernel provides support for.

[root@www ~]# df -hT
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda5 ext3 227G 93G 123G 43% /
/dev/hda1 ext3 99M 12M 83M 12% /boot
none tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda2 ext3 2.0G 36M 1.9G 2% /tmp

As far as I am able to recall, there are only 2 limitations that you must be concerned with. There might be others, but these are the only ones I am aware of, which also appears to be true from the research I have done.

1. The number if i-nodes. You appear to have more than enough.

[root@www ~]# df -i
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/hda5 30130176 3729871 26400305 13% /
/dev/hda1 26104 46 26058 1% /boot
none 220613 1 220612 1% /dev/shm
/dev/hda2 262144 18 262126 1% /tmp

2. The subdirectory limitation for the ext3 file system. You can only have 32000 subdirectories with in any directory.

---/snip---