Re: Are IP addresses reliable?

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, PHP Developer wrote:

I wanna know that is there a way to forge someone's IP address? for example, I have a client with an static ip address, and she is a superuser. Can i rely on her IP address? or somebody else can forge her IP? I don't want her to enter a username and a password..

For purposes of above question only (and assuming application is PHP and thus running on HTTP which is TCP-based protocol) the answer is that you can rely on the ip address. For general purposes the answer is you can forge ip address and can not rely on them (due to NAT and other issues) but its very very not easy and a lot depends on protocol in question.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks