The data get lost when click back button

My problem:

I have a form for that the users register indicating a user's name and
password and other data.
Previously to add the user in the data base I verify that user's name
doesn't already exist. In that case I show an error message and I ask him to
attempt it again.
But,  when the user returns to the form all the data of the fields
disappeared! Then the user has enter all the information again.

How can I make in simple way that, the data in the fields don't get lost
when the user returning to the form?

Ahead of time, thank you very much,

Tom.