Re: OK to have many files in one folder?

On Saturday 16 June 2007 03:47, Daniel Brown wrote:

>     Once again, this doesn't matter so much for per-directory (though
> listing will take longer, as I think I mentioned) as it does the
> filesystem mount.

Several years ago, having say 3000+ files in single directory on ext2
would mean that a simple 'ls -al' takes several orders of magnitude
longer to perform than on a directory with just several hundred files. As
I haven't used ext2/3 for ages I don't know whether the same is still
true today.

> The ext2/ext3 filesystems were made for these
> reasons, especially with journaling like ReiserFS, XFS, et cetera
> (which is a completely different bag of nuts).

Not sure what point you're trying to make here, but, of the common
filesystems for linux, ext2/3 is the absolute slowest (by far) when you
have a large number of files in a directory.

--
Crayon