Re: Checking Phone Numbers

On 6/14/07, Edward Kay <edward@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Whilst there are several ways to do this, it's not going to make someone
entering dummy data give you their real phone number. They'll just enter
another one that bypasses your check, e.g. 111-222-3333 or 321-321-4321.

I'd also caution about forcing any specific format on telephone numbers. I'm
in the UK and our phone numbers are in the format xxxx-xxx-xxxx,
xxx-xxxx-xxxx or xxxxx-xxxxxx. This would not work with your form. If people
are happy to give you their number, let them type it how it is. It could
even include other characters, e.g. +44 (0)1234 567890 ex 324

Edward

   My suggestion is that we require the United Kingdom and other
countries around the world to conform to our standards of telephone
numbers.  After all, isn't that what we do in America; change the
world to meet our expectations or choose to shun them for not doing
so?

   Nevermind.... that would go far beyond list topics and waaaay too
far into the realm of political dissent.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272