Reformatting the URI on return to the browser

PHP,

I've implemented "friendly urls" in my PHP scripts, so that people can type in things like:
http://website.com/Cats And Dogs
... and they'll be taken to the right page.

However, when they get to the page, the url will read:
http://website.com/Cats%20And%20Dogs

Not so pretty.

I've noticed that Wikipedia will alter the URI to become more readable, by replacing the spaces with underscores, like so:
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats_And_Dogs

I'd like to be able to do that with my system, but I can't quite figure out where in the process of getting a URI request and returning a page that the URI will get set.

Can anyone help me with figuring out at what point I can gain control over the URI sent back, as Wikipedia does?

Thanks for any advice.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu Feisty 7.04