Re: Address validation API's for PHP

On Jun 13, 2007, at 10:19 AM, Jay Blanchard wrote:

[snip]
    Someone needs to smack Robert.  He's off on a tangent again.  ;-P
[/snip]

Nope, that is normal.

[snip]
 Honestly, me either.  I've built ZIP-code-to-longitude/latitude
points, but nothing with address suggestion.

Jay, are you also looking for the PLUS+4 ZIP code information?  Is it
possible that the USPS (if you're looking for US addresses) has a free
or low-cost API?
[/snip]

I am looking at their address matching service now and trying to
determine how much it costs

Hi Jay,

I actually work with the post office on my day job, we do presorted mailings with them. And I can tell you that the post office does not sell any addresses to private individuals. For the mailings we do where we need to get a list we have to go to a third party to get the list.

The stuff you're looking at is probably the CASS software, or maybe Delivery Point Validation. Both of which you run on your current mailing list to make sure you qualify for the cheaper postage rates. I can also tell you that the CASS software costs about $1,000 a year for access to match your addresses against the database. :) But I don't think it really does what you are looking for.

You may want to look into a third party place like InfoUSA[1] since they sell the addresses (We use them sometimes in fact) they may be able to do what you are looking for.

[1] http://www.InfoUSA.com