Re: Re: any security problems with this?

On 6/12/07, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The downside of that is that something as simple as:
<?php phpinfo();?>
will dump your password out as part of $_ENV or $_SERVER

That's probably NOT a good idea in many environments, but an excellent
idea in some.

Security cannot be evaluated in isolation.

And, of course, many users won't have access to httpd.conf, so that's
not an option at all in those environments.

One has to look at the Big Picture to make the final decision between:
  outside web tree in .php (or .inc) file
  in httpd.conf

There are probably other arcane solutions "out there" but probably not
very practical for most uses.

I really can't recommend to keep it in the webtree with only .htaccess
protecting it, personally, though many seem to think that's fine...

I guess they never did anything bone-headed like:
tar -cvzf export.tar httpdocs
and then untar-ed it on another server, forgetting that .htaccess and
other "hidden" files wouldn't be caught by tar that way, and then the
password was just siting out there for the public to snarf...  Until I
ran across the images that didn't work because the ForceType in
.htaccess wasn't there.

So for a good 10 minutes [shudder] my database password was available
on the Internet...

I'm sure nobody else in the course of history will make this same
bone-headed mistake.  No.  Never.

:-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?

I figured this wasn't an option for most people, but thought I'd throw
it out there.  It works great at my company since we own our server to
host client sites on.

Hopefully nobody has phpinfo just sitting out on a production server.