Effect of syntax error in php.ini

Hi

I have come across some very strange behavior with php-4.3.9-3.22.5 when
using Moodle 1.8+ on a CentOS 4.5 Linux platform.

If I accidentally corrupt the php.ini file as follows and restart Apache
all is well and admin/index.php displays correctly. The corrupt section in
php.ini is shown below:

; Resource Limits ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

max_execution_time = 30
max_input_time = 60
memory_limit = 60M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script
may consume

If I correct the comment line by removing the carriage return after the
word script and restart Apache the page admin/index.php just comes up
blank. The uncorrupted section in php.ini is shown below:

; Resource Limits ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

max_execution_time = 30
max_input_time = 60
memory_limit = 60M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume

What effect does introducing a syntax error into php.ini have?

Anyone any idea what on earth is happening here???

Any suggestions most welcome...

Clive

Clive Gould
HE PAL ICT