Re: efficient log system

Hello Alain,

I can just tell you from my experience.
I have recently created a, in my eyes, pretty big project, and wanted to track everything, starting from user navigation over search queries to login/out times, article printout times and count, photo views and everything your mind can imagine. I didn't do this for just the fun of it, but to see what our users do on our website and to improve the handling of the site.

Anyhow, I think you get the idea. Now, what I've done, was to write all that into a mySQL database... and by now I think I shouldn't have done that. I did a DB-backup today (after 4 weeks of having the site up), and already the size of the DB is 10+ MB of textual data. What will it be after a year...

So I guess it really depends on what you have in mind. I do store a lot of text data, so you might not even come up with 15% of what I'm saving. I think you should do some planning and try to see how many users will visit your page, and then calculate the amount of data your might be writing to files or a database. From my point of view, a database solution is just fine, until you have to restore that database from your local computer with a dump (uploading and all :oP)

Just to show you what I dod and what amount of data I'm getting :o)

Cheerio!
Chris

""Alain Roger"" <raf.news@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:75645bbb0706120426t44ea1ea3p46d752636c9ec31f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I would like to create a log system to keep a trace of all users' actions
(log-in, remove, change or update data, and so on...).
What should i do or to what should i take care to not have problem ?

I was thinking to create a folder on my server where log files will be
stored, but what is the best practice.

thanks a lot,

--
Alain