Re: MySQL UTF-8 vs Extended ASCII

On Mon, June 11, 2007 7:34 pm, Larry Garfield wrote:
> You may find this useful:
> http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.mb-convert-encoding.php
>
> It is frequently reasonably good at guessing the incoming character
> set, at
> least the one time we used it at work.  Try running all pages/strings
> through
> that first before sending them to the database to convert everything
> UTF-8.

I'll give that a shot, if I have mb installed...

> You should also make sure that not only is the MySQL connection set to
> UTF-8,
> the tables and columns themselves are, too.  MySQL lets you vary the
> encoding
> by table and field, so you should check to make sure that *everything*
> is
> UTF-8 explicitly.

The table is:

ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

I'd be ecstatic if the characters were just getting mangled -- The
TRUNCATION of the data is what's killing me, and which is "unexpected
behaviour" to my mind.

> PS: The free copy of php|architect from php|tek had a really good
> article on
> Unicode.  Even if you don't read anything else from that issue, read
> that. :-)

I am behind on my reading for some odd reason... :-v

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?