Re: Keeping file pointers open after script end

On 6/9/07, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, June 9, 2007 3:44 pm, Tijnema wrote:
> Is there any way to keep a file pointer open after script is finished,
> so that it can be access later, by passing it through session?

No.

Well, okay, *MAYBE* you could hack something up with exec() and fork
some kind of external process that keeps it open and...

You'd be better off to:
 1. just re-open the file and see how badly it affects performance
 2. write a custom PHP daemon to keep the file open and talk over port

Why do you think you need this -- Sometimes telling us the Big Picture
is much more fruitful than just asking such a specific question.

I've explained the big picture in a message to Stut.

I see that normal file operations aren't that worse because I can use
fseek, but now i'm interested in the FTP area.
I could write a PHP daemon of course, that would safe a lot of space,
but what if the user cancels download, by loosing connection for
example? The script would keep running and running for the user to
connect, but he already downloads the file again which would create
another daemon to start?

Tijnema