Sending mail on OS X

Hi, all.  I'm sure this question has been asked, but I was not able to
effectively search the forum archives, so I'm having to ask it again.

I'm trying to use the mail function to send email on OS X, but the email
gets rejected by the mail server I'm sending to.  I get messages in
mail.loglike this:

"The IP you're using to send email is not authorized to send email directly
to our servers."

I tried sending mail through another server using the SMTP and smtp_port
settings in my php.ini files, but the settings seem to be ignored (perhaps
they are Windows only?).  Can anyone tell me how I can successfully send
test emails on OS X?

Also, the From header does seem to be getting successfully set.  Is there
anything wrong with this code?

mail('foo@xxxxxxx', 'php test', 'this is the message.\nthis is another
line.', 'From: qantrell@xxxxxxxxx'."\n\r");

Thanks,